Teaching English as a foreign language, or TEFL as it is more commonly referred to, involves teaching English as a second language to those students that do not speak it as their primary language.
The practice occurs in the student’s native country on either a private level or within the school system. It can also be taught as an after-hours format or by a tutor. There are a number of opportunities for teaching english as a second language in Thailand. Thailand has been a popular tourist destination and is very accessible as there are numerous flights to Bangkok from all the major international airports.
A career in TEFL in Thailand or other countries has experienced growing popularity in recent years for a number of reasons.
- First and foremost, it is a great way to experience life in other countries and travel around the world.
- The experience is not only beneficial and rewarding, it provides you with the opportunity to earn an excellent income in the process. Taking the current economic situation as well as the international job climate, teaching English as a second language is a great opportunity for the recent college graduate that is having difficulty getting their careers started and finding employment.
- Another one of the benefits to TEFL in Thailand or other countries is that it is a great way to gain teaching experience and possibly further your career in the education industry.
Earning a certificate for TEFL is not that difficult and usually involves a 4-week intensive program or a part-time one that is longer in duration. Whether it is full-time or part-time, the program provides you with qualifications that are internationally recognized.
If you are considering TEFL in Thailand, you want to look for a certification program that meets the following criteria:
- a minimum of 100 hours of training
- a minimum of 6 hours of teaching real students while being observed and critiqued by a licensed teacher (a.k.a. Observed Teaching Practice)
- get validated by a recognized examination board, university, or reputable examination body
This eBook How To Teach English Overseas offers up excellent advice on Teaching English as a Second Language in Thailand and in many other places throughout the world.
The bottom line is that if you are looking to pursue a career in the field of education, TEFL in Thailand is an excellent way to get experience in teaching.
Another benefit is that you can use the money you earn in a TEFL in Thailand position to fund your travels to other countries once the job expires. Depending on the country you are teaching in, working for a year will enable you to save the funds necessary to continue traveling to other countries.
Teaching English as a Second Language is an excellent option for anyone who wants experience traveling the world, enjoys teaching, and wants valuable job experience.